For me, the worst thing about being a therapist is seeing people in pain who are not yet willing or ready to make a change. This includes people who resonate with the following statements:
- I don’t think change is possible.
- I’ve had these symptoms so long, they must be permanent.
- Therapy can only take me so far.
- Therapy hasn’t fixed it before, so it can’t.
- I am my diagnosis.
- If I’m not sick/mentally ill/in pain, who am I?
These statements are all arguable because the right therapy, the right techniques and therapist for an individual can overcome all of that. Continue reading “The Worst Thing About Being a Therapist”